Please refer to the parking brake and cable adjustment procedures in this section.
The parking brake is subjected to only limited wear and use. Often the friction surfaces become corroded and cause a loss of braking performance. This can often be cured by burnishing the parking brakes and the performance will return.
This procedure should also be performed whenever new shoes or rotors are installed and before the parking brake adjustment is made.
- While driving the car at 25 mph (40 km/h) pull the parking brake lever until braking is felt. Pull the lever 1 more notch and drive the car 1300 ft. (400 m) to the working area.
- Adjust the parking brake.
- Check the performance of the parking brake.
Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the rear tire and wheel assembly. Remove the rear brake rotors.
- Using brake spring pliers, disconnect the lower return spring for the parking brake shoes. Then, using the proper tool, turn the retaining springs for the parking brake shoes 90 degrees to unlock them and remove.
- Separate the parking brake shoes at the bottom and remove from above. Separate the shoes from the adjuster and spring.