- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system. On some engines, this requires removing the plug from the bottom radiator tank.
- If equipped with a coolant expansion tank, remove the cap, disconnect the hose at the radiator and drain the coolant into a clean container. If equipped with a splash guard, remove it.
- Remove the coolant hoses and disconnect the automatic transmission oil cooler lines and plug their openings as well as the openings in the cooler.
- Disconnect any of the temperature switch wire connectors.
- Remove the shroud from the radiator. On some vehicles, this is done by simply pressing plugs toward the rear of the vehicle. On others, there are metal slips that must be pulled upward and off to free the shroud from the radiator. The shroud will remain in the vehicle, resting on the fan on most vehicles. On 7 Series models, remove the fan and shroud together. Make sure to store the fan in a vertical position. The fan must be held stationary with some sort of flat blade cut to fit over the hub and drilled to fit over 2 of the studs on the front of the pulley. Then, unscrew the retaining nut at the center of the fluid drive hub turning it clockwise to remove it because it has left hand threads.
- Remove the radiator retaining bolt(s) and lift the radiator from the vehicle.
- The radiator is installed in the reverse order of removal. Fill and bleed the cooling system.
- Check that rubber mounts are located so as to effectively isolate the radiator from the chassis, as this will help ensure reliable radiator performance. Note that if the vehicle uses plastic upper and lower radiator tanks and has a radiator drain plug, be careful not to over torque the plugs.
- Torque engine oil cooler pipes to 18-21 ft. lbs. (23-28 Nm) and transmission cooler pipes to 13-15 ft. lbs. (17-20 Nm).
- Torque the thermostatic fan hub on the 7 Series models to 29-36 ft. lbs. (40-48 Nm).
SULEV (Super ultra-low emissions vehicle): When replacing the radiator, install Prem-Air radiator only (color: black and marked with sticker).
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Check coolant hose sealing rings. Do not under any circumstances coat sealing rings with antiseize agent before installation.
- Installation is reverse of removal.