Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the driveshaft from the input flange of the final drive. Support the driveshaft with wire.
- Remove the constant velocity joint bolts and support the halfshafts from the body.
- Disconnect the speed sensors, if equipped.
- Support the unit and remove the front mounting bolts, then the rear mounting bolts. Lower the unit. The axle ratio is marked on the housing or cover.
- Install the final drive. On E30 models, install the front bolts to support, on E36 models, install the rear bolts about 10 turns to support the assembly, then start the rear bolts. On high output engines or if used for sport events install new fasteners.
Tighten the bolts as follows:
E30 models and M44 Z3 models: 80 ft. lbs. (110 Nm)
- Install the halfshafts and the driveshaft.