Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Using a 6 point deep well socket, remove the locknuts from the outer link mounting brackets.
- On E36 models the locknuts are accessed from the top of the upper link arm.
- On E30 models, the locknuts are accessed from the lower trailing arm.
- Remove the through bolt and locknut from the inner sway bar bushing brackets.
- Pivot the sway bar brackets away from the mounting tab. If necessary, use a suitable prytool to help release the brackets, then lower the sway bar from the right side of the vehicle.
- Inspect and replace the sway bar bushings as necessary.
- Apply a suitable lubricant between the sway bar and the rubber bushings to prevent squeaking noises and allow smooth operation.
- Install the tongue of the inner sway bar bracket into the mounting tab, and pivot the bracket to install the bolt and locknut. If the bolt is not long enough to start, temporarily use a longer bolt to draw the bracket inward and seat it with the bushing, then install the correct through bolt and locknut.
- The balance of assembly is in reverse order of disassembly.
- Disconnect the stabilizer from the trailing arm on either side by removing the connecting bolt from the lower end of the link.
- Disconnect the stabilizer on the crossmember.
- Check the rubber bushings for wear and replace as necessary.
- Install the stabilizer bar and tighten the mounting bolts securely.
- Attach the stabilizer bar to the trailing arm on either side.