REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Remove enough brake fluid from the reservoir to drop the fluid level below the refill line or hose connection.
- From underneath the vehicle, remove the circlip or retaining bolts, depending on the model, which secure the slave cylinder to the transmission case.
- Disconnect the brake line and remove the slave cylinder. Place a container below the hydraulic line to catch any dripping brake fluid.
- Installation is the reverse or removal. Make sure to install the cylinder with the bleed screw facing downward. When installing the front pushrod, coat it with Molykote® Long-term 2 or equivalent anti-seize compound. Bleed the system.
On the 325 Series and M3, if the engine uses a 2-section flywheel, make sure you use a larger slave cylinder with a diameter of 22mm, instead of the usual cylinder diameter of 20.5mm.
- Remove the master cylinder and.or slave cylinder as described in this section.
- Remove the rubber boots or seals, then pull the piston out. Clean all parts in alcohol.
- Inspect the cylinder bores for corrosion or scoring, and replace any parts as needed.
- Install overhaul kits, consist of the parts listed below:
- Rubber boot
- Grooved piston ring seals.
- Sealing plug which fit into the top of the unit.
- Washer which is situated under the sealing plug.
- Ring type retainer.
- Rubber boots or seals.
BLEEDING THE CLUTCH SYSTEM
See Figure 4
- Fill the reservoir.
- Connect a bleeder hose from the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder to a container filled with brake fluid.
- Pump the clutch pedal about 10 times and hold down.
- Open the bleeder screw and watch the stream of escaping fluid. When no air bubbles escape, close the bleeder screw and tighten.
If this procedure fails to produce a bubble-free stream:
- Pull the slave cylinder off the transmission without disconnecting the fluid line.
Do not depress the clutch pedal while the slave cylinder is removed.
- Depress the pushrod in the cylinder until it hits the internal stop. Then, reinstall the cylinder.
- Repeat the bleeding procedure.