The oxygen sensor light on the dash will light the first time the mileage reaches 30,000 (48,000 km). Replace the oxygen sensor and remove the light bulb from the dash. The bulb lights the first time only. However, the sensor must be changed every 30,000 miles (48,000 km).
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
All Models Through 1984
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor wire connector and remove the wires from the clip.
- Pull off the sensor protective plate.
- Unscrew the oxygen sensor.
- Before installation, coat the threads of the new sensor with a suitable anti-seize compound.
- Install the sensor unit.
- Remove the call unit from the dash by unscrewing the bolt, push the unit to the right and remove the oxygen sensor display bulb. On some models, the bulb must be broken to remove it.
This heated type oxygen sensor needs to be replaced only at 50,000 mile (80,000 km) intervals. The sensor is located on the engine exhaust pipe, just in front of the catalytic convertor.
To replace it, unscrew the protective plate and disconnect the plug in the wire leading to the sensor. Then, unscrew the oxygen sensor. Replace in reverse order, coating the threads of the new sensor with an anti-seize compound.
A special tool (Special Service Indicator Resetter 62 1 100), only available through BMW sources, must be used to reset certain electronic type emission or oxygen sensor indicator light controls.