REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Tag each wire attached to the coil. once marked, remove the nuts securing the wires in place, or unplug each wire from the connection on the coil.
- Disconnect the high tension wire from the coil.
- Loosen the screw retaining the ignition coil in its bracket. Slide the coil from the bracket and remove it.
- Slide the coil into position and tighten the bracket screw.
- Connect the ignition lead wires and the high tension coil wire.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
PRIMARY RESISTANCE CHECK
To check the coil primary resistance, connect an ohmmeter across the coil primary terminals and read the resistance on the low scale. Note whether an external ballast resistor is used. The procedure for breaker point ignition systems and electronic ignition systems is the same except that the resistance for breaker point ignitions should be 1.7-2.1 ohms and the resistance of the electronic ignition should be between 0.4-0.7 ohms.
SECONDARY RESISTANCE CHECK
To check the coil secondary resistance, connect an ohmmeter across the distributor side of the coil and the coil tower. Read the resistance on the high scale, resistance should be between 4,000-10,000 ohms on breaker point ignition systems. The procedure for breaker point ignition systems and electronic ignition systems is the same except that the resistance of the electronic ignition should be between 7,700-9,300 ohms.