REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1600, 2000, and 2002 Models
- Loosen the exhaust system supports.
- Separate the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold and remove the hot air guide sleeve.
- Remove the retaining nuts and washers from the exhaust manifold studs and remove the manifold from the cylinder head. Discard the manifold gasket
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Install new manifold gasket(s). Tighten the retaining nuts to 16-18 ft. lbs. (22-25 Nm). Tighten the clamps holding the exhaust pipes last to avoid having an exhaust system vibration during operation.
Each exhaust manifold can be removed separately, after the exhaust pipes are disconnected.
- Remove the air cleaner and manifold cover plate.
- On automatic transmission equipped vehicles, detach the oil filler pipe at the rear of the cover plate.
- Disconnect the CO tap connector at the exhaust manifold. Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold sections.
- Remove the retaining nuts and washers and remove the exhaust manifolds from the cylinder head. Discard the manifold gaskets(s).
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Use new manifold gaskets. Tighten retainer nuts to 16-18 ft. lbs. (22-25 Nm).
EXCEPT 524td, M3, M5 AND M6 MODELS
The exhaust manifolds can be referred to as exhaust gas recirculation reactors.
The removal and installation procedures are basically the same for all models. The 4-cylinder manifold, is a one piece, one outlet unit, while the 6-cylinder manifold assembly consists of a 2 piece, double outlet unit to the exhaust pipe. One piece can be replaced independently of the other.
- Remove the air volume control and if necessary, air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifold/reactor outlet(s).
- Remove the guard plate from the manifold/reactor(s), if equipped.
- Disconnect the air injection pipe fitting, the EGR counter pressure line, EGR pressure line and any supports.
An exhaust filter is used between the reactor and the EGR valve and must be disconnected. Replace the filter if found to be defective.
- Remove the retaining bolts or nuts at the reactor and remove it from the cylinder head.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Use new gaskets. Tighten the manifold/reactor nuts to 16-18 ft. lbs. (22-25 Nm).
- Remove the turbocharger, oil lines, and piping as described in this section.
- Remove the nuts and disconnect the exhaust pipe at the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the manifold bolts then the manifold. Discard the gasket and clean both gasket surfaces.
- Install a new gasket to the manifold.
- Position the manifold to the cylinder head, and secure using the retainer nuts> Tightened the nuts to 16-18 ft. lbs. (22-25 Nm).
- Install the turbocharger and associated piping.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- With the engine cool, remove the coolant drain plug from the block, and allow the coolant to drain into a suitable container.
- Remove the 2 electrical connectors from the front of the coolant manifold that runs along the exhaust side of the engine. Disconnect the radiator hose from the front of this pipe. Then, remove all the mounting bolts for this pipe and remove it. Inspect the O-rings and replace any that are worn or damaged.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifold flange. Remove the heatshields from under the engine.
- Remove the mounting nuts at the cylinder head and remove the manifold.
- Clean all gasket material from the surfaces of the manifold and head and replace the gaskets.
- Position the manifold on the head, tightening the manifold bolts to 6.5-7.0 ft. lbs. (9 Nm) and the coolant pipe mounting bolts to 7.5-8.5 ft. lbs. (11 Nm). Tighten the bolts at the flange attaching manifold and exhaust pipe first to 22-25 ft. lbs. (30-34 Nm) and then to 36-40 ft. lbs. (48-54 Nm). Make sure to refill the cooling system with fresh anti-freeze/water mix and bleed the cooling system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the exhaust system.
- Drain the coolant below the level of the head.
- Disconnect the right side engine mount and ground strap.
- Disconnect the air injection pipe and the heatshield. Remove the fan cowl and coolant expansion tank. Remove the air pump air filter housing.
- Lift the right side of the engine as far as possible without damaging any connections.
- Remove the heat shield holder and the air injection pipe. It may be necessary to use an universal joint on an extension. There is a mounting tab at cylinder No. 1.
- Disconnect the sensor plugs on the coolant pipe. Remove the coolant pipe.
- Remove the exhaust manifold nuts and pull of the studs. Push the rear manifold back and pull the front manifold. Remove the rear manifold.
- Clean the manifold mounting surfaces of the manifold and cylinder head. Install new gaskets with the graphite surface facing towards the cylinder head.
- Install the manifolds. Place the manifolds in the reverse order of removal. Tighten the nuts 6-8 ft. lbs. (9-11 Nm).
- Replace the O-rings and install the coolant pipe. Tighten to 8.0-8.5 ft. lbs. (11-12 Nm). Replace the air injection pipe gaskets and the air injection pipe. Tighten to 25-33 ft. lbs. (35-45 Nm).
- Install the heat shield. Lower the engine. Install the air pump filter, coolant expansion tank and the fan cowl. Connect the air injection pipe and tighten to 25-33 ft. lbs. (35-45 Nm). Install the heat shield holder.
- Connect the ground strap and the engine mount. Tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (42 Nm). Install the exhaust system and fill the cooling system. Connect the negative battery terminal.