REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 325 Series, 524td, 528e,1600, 2000, 2002 and M3 Models
- Remove the oil pan. On the 318i and M3, only the lower section of the pan need be removed.
- Remove the bolts retaining the sprocket to the oil pump shaft and remove the sprocket.
On 4-cylinder engines:
- Remove the oil pump retaining bolts and lower the oil pump from the engine block.
- Check the installed location of the O-ring seal, between the housing and the pressure safety line and make sure it is installed so it will seal properly.
- Tighten the sprocket retaining nut to 18-22 ft. lbs. (23-29 Nm).
- Be sure that the oil bore in the shim(s) is correctly positioned during the oil pump installation. If there is a lot of play in the drive chain, add one or more shims. The drive chain should give slightly under light thumb pressure.
On 6-cylinder engines:
- Remove the oil pump retaining bolts and lower the oil pump from the engine block. On 6-cylinder. engines, there are 3 bolts at the front and 2 bolts attaching the rear of the oil pickup to the lower end of a support bracket. It is necessary to remove all 5 bolts.
- Do not loosen the chain adjusting shims from the 2 moun