REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- If the car has a coolant expansion tank, remove the cap, disconnect the hose at the radiator, and drain the coolant into a clean container, if reusing the coolant. If the car has a splash guard, remove it.
- Disconnect and remove the coolant hoses.
- Disconnect the automatic transmission oil cooler lines and plug all ther openings.
- Unfasten any of the temperature switch wire connectors (used in many applications, especially if the car has air conditioning).
- Remove the shroud from the radiator, if equipped. On some models, this is done by simply pressing the plugs toward the rear of the car. On others, there are metal slips that must be pulled upward and off to free the shroud from the radiator..
- On 735i models, remove the fan and shroud together. The fan must be held stationary with some sort of flat blade cut to fit over the hub and drilled to fit over 2 of the studs on the front of the pulley (or it is possible to use BMW special tool 11 5 020). Then, unscrew the retaining nut at the center of the fluid drive hub turning it clockwise to remove it because it has left hand threads.
- On 318i models, remove the cover from the left side of the radiator.
- On late model vehicle equipped with an oil cooler, spread the retaining clip and pull the oil cooler out to the right.
- Remove the radiator retaining bolts (or single bolt on some models) and lift the radiator from the vehicle.
On 1983-88 vehicle equipped with the 3.3L or 3.5L engine, there are 2 bolts at the top/rear of the radiator and 2 bolts at the bottom rear which must be removed.To install:
- Position the radiator into the vehicle, Some radiators slide into rubber mounts at the base. Install the retaining bolts where needed.
- Install the oil cooler, if equipped. Tighten the fittings to 18-21 ft. lbs. (23-27 Nm)
- Connect the radiator hoses, including transmission cooler lines, if equipped. Tighten the transmission line to 13-15 ft. lbs. (17-19 Nm).
- Connect the expansion tank hose, if equipped.
- Fasten all electrical wires removed earlier.
- Install the fan and/or shroud if removed.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill and bleed the cooling system.