Most 1984 and later models are equipped with an electronically tuned stereo system; this system uses push buttons instead of knobs for radio control. Removal and installation procedures for electronically tuned radios appear later in this section.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1600, 2000, 2002, and 320i Models
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Unscrew the shift lever and lift off the boot.
- Remove the screws which retain the console to the dash and transmission tunnel.
- Remove the screws which retain the left and right-hand side panels of the console to the radio mounting bracket. Remove the side panels, exposing the radio mounting bracket. (The radio mounting bracket houses the mono speaker.)
- Disconnect the antenna cable from the radio. Unfasten the radio ground cable (if so equipped) from the left-hand heater mounting bolt. Detach the power lead for the radio.
- Lift the radio mounting bracket forward. The radio may now be disconnected from the speaker by removing the speaker multiple plug from the back of the radio.
If the radio is connected to multiple speakers, tag each speaker connection and unfasten.
- Pry off the radio control knobs exposing the mounting nuts. Unscrew the mounting nuts and remove the radio from its bracket.
- Install the radio in its mounting bracket and install the mounting nuts.
- Install the radio control knobs. Connect the speaker plug to the radio and connect the power and ground leads to the radio.
- Install the side console panels and install the console retaining screws.
- Install the shift lever boot, if equipped. Connect the negative battery cable and check the operation of the radio.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the screws from the outside of the underdash console while supporting the radio from underneath. Pull the unit out and lay it on the console.
- Disconnect the antenna cable, ground cable, the speaker plug(s) (from the back of the unit) and the power cable.
- Connect the wires to the radio and connect the antenna lead.
- Slide the unit into position and install the retaining screws.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the operation of the radio.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Pull off the radio knobs and ornamental rings.
- Push up on spring catches and remove them from the control shafts. Remove the radio face plate.
- Remove the bolts from supports on both sides of the radio.
- Disconnect the antenna lead, the speaker wires and the power supply.
- Connect the power supply, speaker and antenna leads to the radio and install it in the dash.
- Install the radio mask, ornamental rings, face plate and control knobs to the radio.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the radio for proper operation.