REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
3 Series Models
The blower is accessible by removing the cover at the top of the firewall in the engine compartment.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. To remove the motor cover, pull off the rubber weatherstrip, cut off wire ties holding the wire that runs diagonally across the cover, unscrew and remove the bolts, and pull the cover aside.
- Release the retaining straps, move them to the side, and then remove the blower cover.
- Pull off both electrical connectors. Disengage the clamp that fastens the assembly in place by pulling the bottom. Lift out the motor/fan assembly, being careful not to damage the flap underneath.
- The fan and motor assembly is balanced at the factory. Do not disturb the orientation of the fan and motor during installation. Place the fan and motor into the heater and install the clamp.
- Connect the wires and install the fan cover. Attach the straps.
- Install the outside cover and install the 4 bolts. Install new wire ties on the diagonal wire and replace the weather-stripping. Connect the negative battery cable.
EXCEPT 524td, 528e, 533i, 535i, 633CSi, 635CSi, M5 AND M6 MODELS
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the rubber insulator from the cowl. Remove the mounting bolts and the radiator expansion tank located under the windshield on vehicles equipped. Remove the intensive washing fluid reservoir, if necessary.
- Remove the wire ties holding the cable to the cover. Remove the screws holding the housing cover and remove the cover. Remove the cable and release the clips to remove the blower cover.
- Disconnect the electrical connector for the motor. Unclip the retaining strap for the motor and remove the motor and blower wheels.
- Replace the motor and blower wheels as an assembly (prebalanced). The motor will fit into the housing only one way. The flat surface on the inlet cowls face the body.
- Install the blower cover and clip into place. Install the housing cover and replace the screws. Replace the cable wire ties.
- Install the intensive washing fluid reservoir or the expansion tank, as equipped. Install the weather-stripping.
524td, 528e, 533i, 535i, 633CSi, 635CSi, M5 AND M6 MODELS
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the rubber insulator from the cowl. Remove the mounting bolts for the cover which is located under the windshield.
- Push back the 3 retaining tabs and remove the 2 shells that cover the blower wheels.
- Unfasten the electrical connector for the motor. Unclip the retaining strap for the motor and remove the motor and blower wheels.
- Replace the motor and blower wheels as an assembly. This is because each assembly is a balance unit. The motor will fit into the housing only one way. Reverse all procedures to install, making sure the flat surface on the inlet cowls face the body.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable. Pull the rubber cover off the overflow tank for the cooling system. Unfasten the electrical connector and overflow hose from the overflow tank. Then, remove the mounting nuts and put the tank aside without damaging the hose leading to the radiator.
- Cut the straps for the wiring harness running across the cowl.
- Remove the attaching screws and remove the blower cover from the cowl.
- Disconnect the cable and unclip it where it is clipped to the blower cover. Then, open the plastic retainer and take off the cover.
- Unfasten the electrical connector. Lift off the metal retainer for the blower motor and remove the blower motor.
- Install a new, prebalanced motor and blower assembly. Install in reverse order.