REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On many models, this switch is a combination unit which also controls the direction signals and headlight dimming. On 3 Series models, this switch is mounted right next to the turn signal switch and its removal is covered specifically under that procedure.Except 735i Models
The wiper switch is located on the steering column and in most cases the steering wheel will have to be removed, along with the lower steering column trim panels, to gain access to the switch.
After the retaining screws and electrical connectors are removed, the switch can be lifted from the plate of the steering column.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the steering wheel. Remove the lower left instrument panel trim.
- Remove the screws and remove the lower steering column cover.
- Push the locking hook for the flasher back and remove the relay, socket facing downward.
- Take off the upper steering column cover. If the car has airbags, drive out the pins and lift out the expansion rivet first.
- Press the retaining hooks inward on both sides, pull the switch out, and then disconnect the electrical connector.
- Reinstall the switch then install the electrical connectors. Install the column cover and lower instrument panel trim.
- Install the steering wheel and connect the negative battery cable.