REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Drain the cooling system.
When draining coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze, and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Label and disconnect all hoses from the air cleaner. Remove the air cleaner.
- Disconnect the 4 injection lines and fitting rings at the pump, noting their placement for installation. Plug the pressure valve with dust caps.
- Disconnect the fuel return hose, oil feed hose, water inflow hose and the oil dipstick support bracket from the pump.
- Disconnect the coolant return hose, oil return hose and the hose for the auxiliary air from the warm-up runner. Loosen the screw.
- Disconnect the connecting link from the pump lever.
- Remove the 4 retaining bolts for the injection pump drive belt dust cover and remove the cover.
- Rotate the engine until the No. 1 cylinder is at Top Dead Center (TDC). At this point, the notch in the drive belt pulley is aligned with the projection on the lower section of the drive belt dust cover, and the distributor rotor is pointing to the spark plug wire connection for the No. 1 cylinder with the cap removed. Also, the notch in the cogged belt pulley is aligned with the cast-in projection on the pump housing. With the engine at TDC, remove the pump drive pulley retaining nut.
- Using a puller, remove the pump drive pulley, taking care not to misplace the woodruff key. Remove the cogged belt.
- Remove the 2 bolts retaining the injection pump to the timing case cover. The, pull out the pump to the rear so that the intermediate shaft may be lifted out at the warm-up sensor housing. Lift out the injection pump.
- Install the injection pump to the timing case cover. Using a pulley puller/installer, install the pump drive pulley and install the pump drive pulley retaining nut.
- Using the procedure outlined below, install the cogged belt. Install the belt cover. Connect the connecting link to the pump lever.
- Connect the coolant return hose, oil return hose and the hose for the auxiliary air to the warm-up runner.
- Connect the fuel return hose, oil feed hose, water inflow hose and the oil dipstick support to the pump bracket.
- Reconnect the injection lines at their fittings at the pump. Install the air cleaner and reconnect all hoses.