The sensor adjustment must be made before the engine is warm.
- Remove the air filter housing.
- Press out the air regulator cone with a screwdriver until special tool 6073 or the equivalent can be inserted into the groove of the air regulator cone.
- A distance of 0.10-0.11 inches (2.5-3.0mm) should exist between the grub screw and the stop screw. Adjustments can be made at the plate nut.
- After the engine is at normal operating temperature, the air regulator valve cone must project 0.3-0.4 inches (9-10mm). The plate washer must project above the lever by 0.15 inches (4mm) and the grub screw must be in full contact with the stop screw.
- If these specifications are not obtained, the warm up sensor must be replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Drain the coolant and remove the air filter.
When draining coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze, and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Disconnect the coolant hoses and the auxiliary air hose.
- Disconnect the return spring and remove the warm-up sensor while disconnecting the accelerator linkage.
- After installation, adjust the sensor as previously outlined and adjust the idle speed.