REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On models with SRS, observe all safety precautions. Special care should be taken when handling the column, so as not to damage the shear pins. Damage to the shear pins could cause the column not to collapse in the event of an accident.1970-83 Models
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel and surrounding trim, as outlined in this Section.
- Remove the combination switch.
- Remove the ignition switch and remove the warning buzzer from the steering column, if equipped.
- Remove the bolts that hold the lower and upper halves of the steering column together.
- Unscrew the left and right column mounting bolts. Remove the 2 mounting bolts at the pedal assembly bracket.
- Unscrew the bolt at the bottom of the column upper casing and remove the casing.
- Under the hood disconnect the lower column coupling and pull the column from the vehicle.
- Install the column in position and connect the lower coupling, to steering gear bolts to 18-20 ft. lbs. (23-26 Nm).
- Install the column-to-bracket mounting bolts and tighten to 15-16 ft. lbs. (19-20 Nm). Install the lower coupling bolts and tighten to 15-17 ft. lbs. (19-21 Nm).
- Install the trim panels and the buzzer, if equipped. Install the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Do not bang on the steering column as column damage may result.1984-88 Models
- Disarm the SRS system, if equipped.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the lower instrument trim panel. Disconnect the steering column casing.
- Disconnect the electrical connections. Press down on the steering spindle, remove the bolt and the spindle.
- Remove the shear-off bolts with a proper chisel. Remove the mounting nuts/bolts.
- Press down and remove the steering column.
- The installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Install new bolts.