REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1600, 2000, 2002, 2500, 2800, Bavaria, 3000 and 3.0 Models
- Remove the cover plate from the top of the cowl, if equipped.
- Pull off the wiper arms.
- Loosen the nuts retaining both wiper pivot bearings (the bearing located where the drive passes through the cowl).
- Swing out the wiper motor complete with linkage.
- Unplug the multiple connector and remove with its rubber grommet.
- Disconnect the connecting link and drive rod by pressing off.
- Completely unscrew the retaining nuts from the wiper pivot bearings and remove them.
- Install the wiper pivot bearings and install the wiper connecting link, and drive rod.
- Reconnect the electrical lead and install the wiper motor and linkage.
- Install the wiper arms and the cover plate on the cowl.
- Adjust the wiper arms so the clearance between blades and the bottom of the windshield is 0.39-.80 inches (10-20mm). Put a new sealing strip between the cowl cover and the gutter.
- Open the hood, loosen the mounting screws, and remove the cover from the top of the firewall.
- Remove both wiper arms. Press off both the connecting rod and the drive arm at the drive bushings. Disconnect the drive arm and detach the motor crank.
- Remove the knurled cap from both arm drive shafts, and remove the nut above the cowl. Then, loosen the nut located below the cowl, and remove the assembly.
- Install the assembly into the vehicle and tighten the nut located below the cowl.
- Install the knurled cap on both arm drive shafts and install the nut above the cowl.
- Attach the motor crank and drive arm. Press the connecting rod back into position.
- Install both wiper arms and install the cover on the top of the fire wall.
- Remove the wiper motor and linkage assembly as described in this section.
- Unscrew the nut on the motor crank, and remove the crank from the motor.
Install in reverse order, noting the following points:
- Make sure to install the unit with the motor in park position. At this position, the crank covers the bolt on the motor side of the crank halfway.
- Make sure the motor mounting shims fit properly.
- Turn the rubber mounting pad under the motor to a position which supports the motor securely.
- Be careful not to pinch vacuum hoses.