The electric wiper motor assembly is located under the engine hood, at the top of the cowl panel. A few models have covers over the wiper motor assembly, while others have the motors exposed. Link rods operate the left and right wiper pivot assemblies from a drive crank bolted to the wiper motor output shaft.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1600, 2000 and 2002 Models
See Figure 1
The motor is accessible from the engine side of the firewall.
- Disconnect the negative batter cable.
- Remove the nut which retains the drive crank linkage to the motor, and disconnect the drive crank.
- Remove the 3 mounting bolts for the motor.
- Label and disconnect the 3 electrical leads from the clear plastic socket connection. Loosen the retaining screw for the ground wire and disconnect the ground wire from the body.
- Lift out the wiper motor.
- Install the wiper motor in position and install the 3 retaining bolts.
- Connect the electrical leads and attach the ground wire.
- Connect the drive crank. Reconnect the battery cable and check the operation of the wipers.
- Remove the cover for the heater unit on the cowl panel, if equipped.
- Remove the crank arm retaining nut and washer.
- Remove the wiper motor retaining screws, tilt the motor downward and remove.
- Disconnect the electrical contact plug from the wiper motor.
- Connect the electrical contact plug to the wiper motor and install the motor.
- Install the crank arm retaining nut and washer.
The complete wiper motor, pivot assemblies and linkage can be removed as a unit, if necessary.
320i, 524td, 528e, 528i, 533i, 535i, 633CSi, 635CSi, M5 and M6 Models
- Remove the cowl cover to expose the wiper motor. This applies to 320i, 530i and all 5 and 6 Series models after 1983.
- Disconnect the wiper motor crank arm from the motor output shaft by removing the nut and pulling off the crank arm.
- Remove the motor retaining screws and disconnect the electrical connector.
- Remove the wiper motor from the vehicle.
- Reverse the procedure to install the motor.
See Figures 2 and 3
- Remove the wiper arm assembly.
- Remove the heater blower motor and the bracket under the wiper motor.
- Disconnect the motor wiring. If only removing the motor, remove the shaft nut and the 3 mounting nuts. Pull the motor out.
- Release the clips on the blower plate and disconnect the flaps to remove the blower plate.
- Remove the wiper arms and the grill. Disconnect the links on the mount for the left pivot.
- Remove the shaft covers and remove the nut. Remove the washer and pull the linkage out of the opening.
- Install the linkage, washer and nuts. Install the shaft covers and connect the left pivot links. Install the grill and the wiper arms.
- Install the blower plate and clip into place. Install the motor and link on the shaft.
- Connect the wires, install the mount and the blower motor.
- Install the wiper arm.
- Cycle the wipers to return to the parked position. Turn the heater blower control to 0 and turn the ignition switch ON and OFF to close the heater box ventilation flaps. Remove the heater blower and remove the heater linkage cover.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal and disconnect the heater linkage. Pull out the temperature sensor. Remove the retainers to pull the inlet cowls out and remove the cover.
- Disconnect the motor mounting brace. Remove the wiper arms. Remove the cowl cover retainers and the cover.
- Loosen and remove the wiper arm shaft nuts. Disconnect the wiring plug. Pull the linkage out of the cowl.
- Mark the relationship of the crank arm to the motor shaft and remove. Remove the 3 mounting bolts to remove the motor.
- Install the motor to the linkage. If the position of the motor has been changed or a new motor is being installed, connect the motor to the electrical plug and cycle the motor once to return it to the parked position.
- Install the crank arm to the original position as marked. If it is a new motor, align the crank arm with the linkage arm so they form a straight line.
- Install the linkage in the cowl. Connect the motor electrical plug and install the wiper arm shaft nuts. Install the cowl cover and the wiper arms. Install the motor brace.
- Install the inlet cowls and the cover. Install the temperature sensor and connect the heater linkage. Install the heater blower and connect the negative battery terminal.