Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
There are two versions of crankshaft dampers. Version 1 is in two parts. Version 2 is a one part unit.Version 1
- Remove crankshaft damper bolts.
- Remove crankshaft damper.
- Align locating bore in crankshaft damper to dowel pin.
- Install bolts. Tighten to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
Special tool 11 8 200 must snap into place in openings (1).
NOTEWhen releasing or tightening down central bolt, grip special tool 11 8 190 with the assistance of a second person.
- Insert special tool 11 8 200 in openings on vibration damper (1) and turn counterclockwise so that counter-supports snap into place on vibration damper.
- Remove central bolt.
Remove crankshaft damper by hand.
NOTEIf vibration damper cannot be removed by hand, use tool 11 8 200 in openings on vibration damper and turn clockwise so that counter-supports snap into place on vibration damper. Then, install puller 11 8 210.
Using puller 11 8 210, tighten the center bolt of the puller until crankshaft damper is removed.
- Check keyway for damage and correct installation position.
- Replace radial seal in lower timing case cover, if needed.
- Align groove in crankshaft damper to keyway.
- Install new central bolt.
- Install special tools 11 8 190 and 11 8 200 in openings on crankshaft vibration damper and turn clockwise so that counter-supports snap into place on crankshaft damper.
- Tighten central bolt on crankshaft damper to 302 ft. lbs. (410 Nm).