Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Remove the cylinder head bolts in reverse of sequence shown and remove the cylinder head.
Clean all sealing material from mating faces
CAUTIONThere must be no oil in the cylinder head bolt holes in the block and timing case cover or there is a possibility of cracking and distorting torque values.
- Be sure that dowel sleeve are correctly positioned in block.
- Apply permanently elastic sealing compound, Drei Bond 1209, at joints to timing case cover.
- Install a new cylinder head gasket.
- Position the cylinder head onto the block and install new cylinder head bolts, applying a light coat of oil to the washer contact area and the threads of the new bolts.
Tighten cylinder head bolts, following the sequence shown, in 3 steps, to the following:
- Step 1: 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Step 2: Additional 90°.
- Step 3: Additional 90°.
Install or connect the following:
Timing chain guide
- Complete installation in reverse of the removal procedure.