Check the oil pressure produced by the engine. The engine should be at normal operating temperature. If the oil quality and type or oil filter condition cannot be determined, replace the oil and filter before testing the oil pump and oil pressure.
- Start the engine and check the oil pressure at different engine speeds (RPM).
- The oil pump is capable of producing 7.4 psi at 700 RPM.
If the oil pressure is low, remove oil pump and inspect:
Oil pump case for cracks or damage or oil seepage
- Inspect the surface that mates with the oil filter for any damage.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Drain the engine oil.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Check dowel sleeves for damage and correct installation position.
- Check the seals on the oil pipes and replace it if necessary. Lubricate the seals with oil.
- Check the seal in the oil pump and replace it if necessary.
- If the oil pump is integrated with the oil scraper, install oil pump with scraper
- If the oil pump and scraper are two parts, install oil pump intake pipe
Install or connect the following:
Oil pump. Torque the bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Fill the engine with clean oil.
- Start the vehicle and check for leaks, repair if necessary.