Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Drain the engine oil.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Drive out the dowel pins from the timing case cover toward the rear.
- Remove the lower timing case cover bolts from cylinder head.
Remove the timing case cover bolts and cover.
- Check cylinder head and gasket for possible damage.
- Clean all mating surfaces.
- Drive dowel pins into timing case cover until they protrude about 0.08-0.12 inch (2-3mm).
- Use grease to hold timing case cover in place during installation.
- Apply sealing compound, Drei Bond 1209, to joints at cylinder head gasket left and right, and thinly and evenly to entire timing case cover sealing surface adjoining the cylinder head.
- Install all timing cover retaining bolts to about 36 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Drive in the dowel pins until flush.
Torque all timing cover retaining screws, in an alternating sequence, to the following:
- M6 bolts: 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- M7 bolts: 132 inch lbs. (15 Nm).
- M8 bolts: 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- M10 bolts: 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Repeat the torque sequence a second time.
- Install and tighten the bolts connecting the timing case cover to the cylinder head.
- Replace the crankshaft oil seal.
Install or connect the following:
- Refill the engine oil.