Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove front wheel.
Remove or disconnect the following:
The stabilizer link from the spring strut. Use a fixed wrench as a counterhold
- Measure the position of the steering knuckle and spring strut for installation purposes.
- Support steering knuckle (1) with workshop jack and a suitable mounting.
- Remove the bolts (2) retaining the spring strut and the steering knuckle.
- Expand steering knuckle (1) with special tool 31 2 230.
Lower workshop jack.
Suspend the drive shaft from a hook.
NOTETake care not to damage the halfshaft boot.
- Disconnect the ball joint pinion from the control arm. Refer to Lower Ball Joint removal and installation.
- Remove steering knuckle.
- Install the steering knuckle in approximately the same position from which it was removed.
Install a new nut on the ball joint. Tighten to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
NOTEMake sure that the mating surfaces on the ball joint and link are clean.
- Clean the splines on the halfshaft.
- Turn the steering knuckle and bring the halfshaft into the hub.
- Install halfshaft bolt and finger-tighten. Lubricate the bolt.
- Install bolts retaining the spring strut in the steering knuckl