Removal & Installation
This model is equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column, and instrument panel, disable the SRS.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove steering wheel and air bag module. Refer to Steering Wheel removal and installation.
Remove upper and lower steering column covers:
- Move steering column into the top, extended position.
Remove expander rivets (1).
NOTEPull center pin approximately 1 / 4 inch (5mm) out of expander rivet (1) to loosen rivet. Expander rivets can be reused. Insert rivet and push in pin until flush.
- Release adjusting lever (2) for steering column.
- Reach into opening underneath and pull off lower section of steering column trim (3) towards bottom.
- Move steering column into the lowered position.
- Remove upper steering column cover.
- Remove the fixture holding the turn signal combination switch:
Remove the turn signal combination switch by pressing locks (1) and feed turn signal combination switch (2) in direction of arrow out of fixture for steering column.
- Press turn signal combination switch into place until a click sound is heard.
- Replace fixture on the steering column. Tighten screws.
- Connect the turn signal combination switch and wiper switch connections.
- Replace upper steering column cover.
- Replace lower steering column cover using the expander rivets to fasten into place.
- Install steering wheel and air bag module. Refer to Steering Wheel removal and installation.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Test function of SRS light, turn signals, light dimmer switch, and wiper switch.