Perform an inspection of the parking brake operation in the following manner: When 1st ratchet is engaged, no braking force should be exerted. The difference in wheel braking force between the left and right wheels may deviate by max. 30 percent. In event of larger deviations of wheel braking force, carry out readjustment. It must be possible to brake to the point of locked wheels with the handbrake. The handbrake must be readjusted whenever the actuation stroke is greater than 10 teeth.
Basic handbrake adjustment is necessary when:
Replacing parking brake shoes
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Lock adjuster unit (ASZE):
- Press stop (1) of adjusting spring back.
- Move retaining hook (2) so that it engages in stop (1). Use special tool 32 1 030.
Remove one wheel stud on each rear wheel.
- Turn wheel until adjustment screw is visible in tapped hole.
- Turn adjusting screw with a screwdriver until the wheel is no longer able to turn.
Turn adjusting screw 6 notches back toward brake release.
Unlock adjuster unit:
- Pry restraint hook (2) outwards with a suitable screwdriver (1).
- Restraint hook (2) must disengage from stop of adjusting spring.
Check parking brake operation.