Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
The exhaust system
Remove the drive flange:
- Support rear axle carrier at front middle with workshop jack.
- Remove nuts and remove compression strut.
Before removing collar nut, mark drive flange (1) and collar nut (2) to driveshaft (3) with center punch or color marker pen.
Brace drive flange with special tool 23 0 020 and release collar nut.
Remove drive flange with special tool 33 1 150.
Withdraw pinion seal with special tool 00 5 010.
Drive in new pinion seal in as far as it will go using special tools: 00 5 500 and 33 3 390 or 33 3 470.
- Clean end face of drive flange and apply a thin coating of grease.
- Coat sealing lips of shaft seal and sealing surface of drive flange with differential oil.
- Attach drive flange according to the markings made earlier.
Press on drive flange with special tools 23 1 300, 33 1 341 and 23 1 303, if necessary 23 1 302, until collar nut can be screwed on.
NOTEDo not tighten down collar nut beyond marker points, made before removal, in order to avoid damaging the clamping sleeve.
- Tighten down collar nut to point where marker points are aligned.
Drive in new retaining plate with special tools 00 5 500 and 33 3 480.
- Install new self-locking nuts on compression strut. Tighten to 57 ft. lbs. (77 Nm).
- Install the drive flange. Tighten to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
- The driveshaft.
- The exhaust system.
- Refill the oil in the final drive.
- Check for leaks.