Removal & Installation
- Remove the rear driveshaft from the rear differential.
- Remove the axle shafts from the differential. For additional information, refer to the following procedure in this section: -Axle Shaft, Bearing & Seal, Removal & Installation-.
Support the rear axle housing center with a suitable jack and Special Tool 33-4-420.
- Remove the heat shield.
- Remove the front axle housing center mounting bolts.
- Remove the rear mounting nut and pull the bolt towards the rear.
- Remove the vent line and slowly lower the axle housing.
- Raise the axle housing into position.
- Insert the front mounting bolts, but do not tighten.
- Insert the rear bolt and nut, but do not tighten.
- Remove the support jack.
- Tighten the front bolts to 148 ft. lbs. (200 Nm).
- Tighten the rear bolts to 122 ft. lbs. (165 Nm).
- The remainder of the installation is the reverse order of removal.