REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disengage the brake light/stop light switch electrical connector.
- Remove the pushrod retainer and master cylinder pushrod spacer (nylon washer). Slide the stop light switch outboard along the brake pedal pin just far enough for the outer hole of the switch frame to clear the pin.
- Remove the switch by sliding it upward. Remove the master cylinder (black) bushing from the pushrod.
- Loosen the four power brake booster retaining nuts at the pedal support bracket. Slide the pushrod and inner master cylinder nylon washer off the pedal pin if the vehicle does not have speed control.
- Remove the locknut, then remove the pivot bolt, brake pedal, and brake master cylinder pushrod bushing from the pedal support. Remove the speed control adapter, if equipped by unlatching the locking tab.
- Apply a light coating of clean engine oil to the clean bushings.
- Position the brake pedal in the pedal support bracket, then install the pivot bolt. Install the locknut and tighten to 10-20 ft. lbs. (14-27 Nm).
The head of the brake master cylinder pushrod bushing must be on the side of the booster pushrod away from the brake pedal.
- Install the inner brake master cylinder pushrod spacer (or, if equipped, the speed control adapter), the master cylinder pushrod and the pushrod bushing on the brake pedal pin.
- Do NOT oil the brake light switch. Position the brake light switch so that it straddles the pushrod with the slot on the pedal pin and the switch outer frame hole just clearing the pin. Slide the brake light switch down onto the pin and pushrod. Slide the assembly inboard toward the brake pedal arm. Install the outer brake master cylinder pushrod spacer and pushrod retainer. Lock the retainer securely.
- Tighten the booster retaining nuts to 16-21 ft. lbs. (21-29 Nm).
- Connect the brake light switch wiring to the brake light switch, then connect the negative battery cable.