Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Lubricate the pushrod tips and put them in their proper locations.
- Lubricate the rocker arms and pedestals and install them. Be sure the pushrod tips are properly seated in the rocker arms.
- Apply thread locking compound to the rocker arm pedestal bolt threads. Torque the bolts to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm) plus an additional 90 degree turn.
- Apply suitable thread locking compound to the rocker arm cover bolts.
Install or connect the following:
Rocker arm cover using a new gasket. Torque the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
Run the engine and check for leaks and proper engine operation.
Remove the camshafts.
NOTEIf the followers are being reused, arrange them so that they may be put back in their original locations.
- Remove the camshaft followers.
- Clean and inspect the rocker arms.
Apply a liberal amount of lubricant GM P/N 12345001 or equivalent to the roller pivot pocket and valve slot areas of the camshaft followers.
NOTEThe follower must be positioned squarely on the valve tip so that the full width of the roller will completely contact the camshaft lobe. If the followers are being reused you must put them back in their original location.
- Place the camshaft followers in position on the valve tip and the SHLA. The rounded head of the follower goes on the SHLA, while the flat end goes on the valve tip.
- Install the camshafts.