Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disable the air bag system. Refer to the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Apply the parking brake.
- Remove the radio.
Insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to RUN, continue to step 6 . If the keys are unavailable or the ignition lock cylinder is seized proceed with the following procedure:
- Remove the fasteners securing the ignition switch to the I/P retainer.
- Push and release the retaining tab at the rear of the ignition switch.
- Remove the ignition switch through the radio opening in the retainer.
- Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
- Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location on the "rib" approximately 3/8 inch rearward (toward the key entry end) of the cylinder release button.
- Drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.
- Drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32 inch drill bit.
- Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
- Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove it from the switch housing.
- Remove any plastic flashing from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly, proceed to step 9.
- Look through the radio opening in the I/P and locate the release button on the side of the switch.
- Depress and hold the ignition lock cylinder retaining tab (located on the right lower side of the ignition switch), using a flat-bladed screwdriver or other suitable tool.
- Pull outward on the ignition cylinder in order to remove the cylinder from the ignition switch.
- Remove the reader/exciter module from the ignition lock cylinder.
- Install the reader/exciter module to the ignition lock cylinder.
If ignition lock cylinder was previously seized, proceed as follows: If not go to step 3.
- Turn the new ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position.
- Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
- Slowly push the ignition lock cylinder into the ignition switch until fully seated. It may be necessary to slightly depress the release button as it passes by the 9/32 inch hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.
- Reinstall the ignition switch.
- Go to step 5.
- Insert the ignition lock cylinder with the key installed into the ignition switch.
- Press the ignition lock cylinder into place. The lock cylinder retaining tab will produce an audible click when fully seated.
- Using light force, pull on the lock cylinder in order to ensure the lock cylinder is engaged and secured in place.
- Turn the ignition to LOCK, then remove the key.
- Install the radio.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Inspect the ignition switch for proper operation in all positions.
- Release the parking brake.
- Enable the air bag system.