- Lock the steering column by installing the Steering Column Anti Rotation Pin tool J 42640 into the underside of the steering column.
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
Remove or disconnect the following:
CAUTIONFailure to disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion stub shaft can result in damage to the steering gear and/or intermediate shaft. This damage can cause loss of steering control which could result in personal injury.
Intermediate shaft lower pinch bolt
- Transfer the outer tie rods if replacing the power steering gear.
Install or connect the following:
Power steering gear through the left wheel opening
- Remove tool J-42640 from the steering column.
- Bleed the power steering system.
- Inspect the power steering system for leaks.
- Adjust the front toe.