Make sure the wheels of the vehicle are straight ahead and the steering column in the LOCK position before disconnecting the steering column or intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Failure to do so will cause the coil assembly in the steering column to become uncentered which will cause damage to the coil assembly.
- Lock the steering column by installing the Steering Column Anti Rotation Pin tool J 42640 into the underside of the steering column.
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
Remove or disconnect the following:
CAUTIONFailure to disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion stub shaft can result in damage to the steering gear and/or intermediate shaft. This damage can cause loss of steering control which could result in personal injury.
Intermediate shaft lower pinch bolt
- Transfer the outer tie rods if replacing the power steering gear.
Install or connect the following:
Power steering gear through the left wheel opening
- Remove tool J-42640 from the steering column.
- Bleed the power steering system.
- Inspect the power steering system for leaks.
- Adjust the front toe.