- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable from remote negative terminal on shock tower and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEWhen the control panel assembly is out, it will have to be disconnected from the wire harness and control cables.
Center panel assembly
Light bulb harness
Attach control cables to control panel
- Set the air outlet changeover control knob on the heater control assembly to the defroster position.
- Set the air outlet changeover damper link of the heater/cooler unit to the defroster position as shown in the illustration, and then connect the cable to the link pin.
- Push the outer cable in the direction so that there is no looseness, and then secure it with the clip.
Install or connect the following:
The control module is located below the radio
- Place the ignition key in the OFF position before removing control module.
Remove the trim bezel.
Remove the cluster hood bezel retaining screws in the trim bezel opening.
- Pry up the cluster hood bezel a few inches to expose the cubby bin/cigar lighter bezel screws.
- Remove the cubby bin/cigar lighter bezel and wiring.
- Remove the control module retaining screws.
- Drop the A/C control module into the cigar lighter/cubby bin bezel opening then disconnect the wiring on the rear of the control module.
- Release the cable clips from the top of the control module. Retain the clips for future use.
- Disconnect the temperature control and recirculation control cables.
- Remove the control module.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure the cables are properly adjusted and the module is seated properly.
The cables must be adjusted for proper function of the control module. To adjust the cables:
- Attach the cable to the lever arm of the control module.
- Turn the knob fully counterclockwise.
- Pull the cable jacket away from the cable end until taut.
- Clip the cable jacket to the control module. The knob should travel a full 180° if the cable is properly adjusted.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
- Remove the center bezel from the instrument panel.
- Place the center bezel on a workbench and remove the six screws that secure the A/C-heater control to the center bezel.
- Remove the A/C-heater control from the center bezel.
Connect the negative battery cable.
- Position the A/C-heater control into the instrument panel center bezel.
- Install the six screws that secure the A/C-heater control to the center bezel. Tighten the screws to 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
- Install the instrument panel center bezel.
- Reconnect the battery negative cable.