The 2.0L and 2.4L engines use a "waste fire" ignition system that uses one ignition coil to fire a bi-polarity spark into two cylinders. The forward polarity spark fires during the power stroke while the reverse polarity spark fires simultaneously during the exhaust stroke of an adjacent cylinder. Coil one fires cylinders 1 and 4, coil two fires cylinders 2 and 3. Each coil tower is labeled with the number of the corresponding cylinder.
Removal & Installation
2.0L & 2.4L Engines
The electronic ignition coil pack attaches directly to the valve cover.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Install or connect the following
NOTEThe coil pack towers are numbered with the cylinder identification. Be sure the ignition cables snap onto the towers
Coil pack on valve cover
The electronic ignition coil pack is mounted to the cylinder head cover.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from coil pack.
- Remove the spark plug cables, twist and pull cables to remove.
- Remove the coil pack mounting bolts.
- Remove the coil pack.
- Install the coil pack on cylinder head cover.
- Install the bolts and tighten bolts to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connector.