Disassembly & Assembly
Removal & Installation
- Loosen wheel nuts.
- Raise vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- If both shock assemblies are removed, mark the shock assemblies right and left according to which side of the vehicle they were removed from
- Remove the wheel speed sensor cable routing bracket from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the nut from the upper ball joint stud.
- Remove the upper ball joint stud from the steering knuckle using a puller. Pull steering knuckle outward and position toward the rear of the front wheel opening.
- Remove the pinch bolt attaching shock absorber clevis to shock absorber.
- Remove the nut and through-bolt attaching the shock absorber clevis to the lower control arm.
- Remove the clevis from the shock absorber by carefully tapping the clevis off the shock absorber using a soft (brass) drift.
- Remove the 4 bolts attaching the shock absorber/upper control arm mounting bracket to the shock tower of the vehicle.
Remove the shock assembly from the vehicle. The shock assembly is removed out through the front area of the front wheel well.
- Install the shock assembly, with the clevis removed, into shock tower. Aligning the 2 locating pins and the 4 mounting holes on the upper control arm shock absorber mount with the 4 holes in shock tower. Install the 4 upper control arm mount to shock tower mounting bolts. Tighten the 4 bolts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Install the clevis on the shock absorber. Clevis is installed by tapping it onto the fluid reservoir of the shock absorber using a soft (brass) drift until fully seated against locating tab on shock absorber. Orientation tab on locating tab must be positioned in the split of the clevis.
- Install the pinch bolt retaining the shock clevis to the shock absorber. Tighten the pinch bolt to: 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm)
- Install the clevis bracket to lower control arm through-bolt. Do not tighten the through-bolt at this time.
- Install the upper ball joint into steering knuckle. Install the nut on ball joint stud. Tighten nut to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
Install the routing bracket for the wheel speed sensor cable on the steering knuckle. Install and securely tighten the routing bracket attaching bolt.
WARNINGWhen supporting lower control arm with jackstand, do not position jack stand under the ball joint cap on the lower control arm. Position in area of lower control arm shown.
- Lower vehicle to the ground with a jackstand positioned under the lower control arm. Continue to lower vehicle so the total weight of the vehicle is supported by the jack stand and lower control arm.
- Tighten the shock absorber clevis to lower control arm bushing through-bolt nut to: 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
- Raise the vehicle, then remove the jack stand.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly. Progressively tighten the wheel mounting nuts in a crisscross sequence until all nuts are torqued to half specification. Then repeat the tightening sequence to the full specified torque of 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
Install or connect the following:
Strut assembly and torque the upper bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm)
- Check and adjust the front end alignment, if needed.