Removal & Installation
- Remove the engine from the vehicle using the procedures found in this section. Secure the engine to a suitable workstand.
- Remove the flywheel-to-crankshaft bolts and remove the flywheel.
- Remove the engine front cover (timing chain cover) using the procedures found in this section.
- Remove the cam drive sprocket and the timing chain using the procedures found in this section.
To remove the balance shaft, perform the following:
- Remove the balance shaft gear-to-shaft bolt and the gear.
- Remove the balance shaft retainer-to-engine bolts and the retainer.
- Using a slide hammer tool, pull the balance shaft from the front of the engine.
If replacing the rear balance shaft bearing, perform the following procedures:
- Drive the rear plug from the engine.
- Using a camshaft bearing tool, press the rear bearing from the engine.
- Dip the replacement bearing in engine oil.
- Using a camshaft bearing tool, press the new rear bearing into the engine.
- Install the rear cup plug. Use sealer around the edges.
- Clean all parts well. Inspect all moving parts for wear and clean all gasket sealing surfaces.
- Lubricate the balance shaft with clean engine oil or engine assembly lube and carefully work the balance shaft back into the engine. Use care not to damage the bearings in the engine block. Install the retainer and torque the bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Align the balance shaft gear with the camshaft gear timing marks and install the gear onto the balance shaft. Tighten the bolt to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) plus an additional 35 degrees.
- Align the marks on the balance shaft gear and the camshaft gear by turning the balance shaft.
- Verify that the crankshaft is still at TDC #1 cylinder. If not, rotate the crankshaft so the #1 piston is at TDC (firing position).
- Install the timing chain and cam drive sprocket using the procedures found in this section.
- Replace the balance shaft front bearing retainer and torque the bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Install the front engine cover using the procedures found in this section.
- Install the remainder of the components in the reverse order of removal
- Install the engine into the vehicle using the procedures found in this section.