When handling a part that has an "ESD-Sensitive" sticker warning of Electrostatic Discharge (it looks like a hand inside a black triangle with a white stripe through it), follow these guidelines to reduce any possible buildup of electrostatic charge.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the front door inside carpet retainers.
- Remove the underdash sound insulators.
- Disconnect the negative battery and disarm the air bag system. Please see Section 6.
- Remove the windshield side upper garnish moldings.
Remove the instrument panel upper trim panel as follows:
- Insert a flat-bladed tool, downward at the rearmost edge of the upper trim panel.
- Carefully pry the panel up to release the 10 panel tabs.
- Lift the rear edge approximately 2 inches and pull the panel rearward to remove.
- Remove the instrument panel lower compartment.
- Disconnect the theft deterrent module.
- Disconnect the passenger side air bag inflator module.
- Remove the steering column opening filler.
- Remove the instrument panel cluster trim plate.
- Remove the console, if equipped.
- Remove the audio system and HVAC control panel, as outlined in Section 6.
- Remove the instrument panel cluster, as outlined in Section 6.
- Disconnect the headlamp switch, foglamp, HUD switch and trip calculator, as equipped.
- Disconnect the fuse block.
- Remove the knee bolster deflector.
- Remove the steering column retaining nuts and lower the steering column.
- Remove the instrument panel carrier mounting bolts and screws.
- Disconnect the Data Link Connector (DLC), lower compartment light and trunk release switch.
- Remove the instrument panel carrier clips.
- Reposition the instrument panel wiring harness and remove the carrier assembly.
- Reposition the instrument panel carrier assembly and route the instrument panel wiring.
- Install the instrument panel carrier clips.
- Install the Data Link Connector (DLC), lower compartment light and trunk release switch.
- Install the instrument panel carrier mounting bolts and screws and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Raise the steering column and install the retaining nuts.
- Install the remaining components in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Enable the air bag system as outlined in Section 6.