- Remove the caliper, caliper bracket and rear disc brake rotor using the procedures found in this section. Slowly turn the rotor while pulling away from the hub.
- Loosen the parking brake cable adjusting nut until the lever is at its "rest" position.
Using a Drum To Brake Shoe Clearance Gauge such as GM's J 41713, or equivalent:
- Set the tool so that it contacts the inside diameter of the rotor.
- Position the Clearance Gauge over the parking brake shoes at its widest point.
- Turn the adjuster nut until the brake shoe lining just touches the Clearance Gauge.
- Repeat the procedure for the opposite side.
- Tighten the parking brake cable adjusting nut.
- Slowly turn the rotor while installing onto the bearing assembly.
- Assemble the remaining components using the procedures found in this section.
Removal & Installation
On vehicles equipped with rear disc brake calipers without built-in parking brake adjusters, the parking brake assembly is contained inside the rear disc brake rotor. Two small brake shoes press against the inside diameter of the rear brake rotor.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle with safety stands.
- Remove the rear caliper using the procedure found in this section. It is not necessary to disconnect the brake line. Use wire to hang the caliper out of the way. Do not allow the caliper to hang by the brake hose.
- Remove the caliper bracket bolts and remove the caliper. It may take considerable force to remove the bolts. They were factory installed with a thread-locking compound.
- Remove the rear rotor using the procedures found in this section.
- Disconnect the parking brake actuator.
- Remove the rear wheel hub using the procedures found in Section 8.
- Remove the shoes from the parking brake support plate.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal process. Note that when the caliper bracket is installed, use thread-locking compound on the bolts. Torque the caliper bracket bolts to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm).The parking brake brakes should be adjusted before the rotor is installed. Use the procedure in this section.