REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
Whenever the clutch cable is disconnected for any reason, such as transaxle removal or clutch/clutch pedal/clutch cable replacement, the proper method for installing the clutch cable must be followed.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Position the clutch shield away from the mounting plate bracket/clutch release plate by removing the rear retaining screw. Loosen the front retaining screw located near the toe board, then rotate the clutch pedal shield aside. Secure by tightening the front screw. (The rear retaining screw is closest the the instrument panel.)
- Prop up the clutch pedal to lift the pawl free of the quadrant which is part of the self-adjuster mechanism.
Do NOT allow the clutch pedal adjuster quadrant to snap back.
- With the clutch pedal lifted up to release the clutch pedal quadrant adjuster pawl, rotate the clutch pedal adjuster quadrant forward. Unhook the clutch cable from the quadrant. Allow the quadrant to swing rearward.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly to gain access to the clutch cable.
- Grasp the end of the clutch cable using pliers, then unhook the clutch cable from the clutch bearing release lever.
Do not grasp the wire strand portion of the inner cable since this might cut the wires and result in cable failure.
- Disconnect the cable from the insulator that is located on the rib of the transaxle.
- Pull the cable out through the recess between the pedal and the quadrant, and from the insulator on the pedal assembly.
- Remove the cable by withdrawing it through the engine compartment.
The clutch pedal must be lifted to disengage the adjusting mechanism during cable installation. Failure to do so will result in damage to the self-adjuster mechanism. A prying instrument must never be used to install the cable into the quadrant.
- Insert the clutch cable assembly from the engine or passenger compartment (if the clutch pedal was removed) through the dash panel and dash panel grommet. Make sure the cable is routed inboard of the brake lines and not trapped at the spring tower by the brake lines.
- With the quadrant at the window stop position, push the clutch cable through the insulator on the stop bracket and through the recess between the pedal and the gear quadrant.
- With the clutch pedal lifted up to release the pawl, rotate the gear quadrant forward. Hook the cable into the gear quadrant.
- Secure the clutch shield on the clutch mounting/release plate.
- Using a piece of wire, cord or other suitable device, secure the pedal in the upmost position.
- Install the clutch cable in the insulator on the rib of the transaxle.
- Hook the cable into the clutch release lever in the engine compartment.
- Remove the device that was used to temporarily secure the pedal against its stop.
- Adjust the clutch by pressing the clutch pedal down several times.
- Install the air cleaner, then connect the negative battery cable.