Before servicing, or working around, the SRS system, turn the ignition switch OFF , disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 3 minutes. When servicing, or working around, the SRS system, do not work directly in front of the air bag module.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Remove the driver's airbag.
- Disconnect the connector from the clockspring (also called a cable reel), then remove the steering wheel bolt.
- Confirm that the front wheels point straight ahead, then remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller .Do not tap on the steering wheel or steering column shaft when removing the steering wheel.
- Remove the driver's dashboard undercover.
- Remove the column cover screws, then remove the column covers.
Disconnect the dashboard wire harness 4P connector (A) from the clockspring 4P connector (B), then disconnect the dashboard wire harness 13P or 5P connector (C) from the clockspring (D).
Release the lock tab (A) under the clockspring connector with a 90° hook shaped tool (B). Slide the tool below the clockspring connector just above the lock tab. Release the lower lock tab (C) and slide the clockspring off the column.
- Before installing the steering wheel, make sure the front wheels are aligned straight ahead.
If not already done, perform the battery terminal disconnection procedure. Some systems store data in memory that is lost when the battery is disconnected. Do the following steps before disconnecting the battery:
- Make sure to record the anti-theft code(s) for the audio and/or the navigation system (if equipped).
- Write down the audio presets (AM and FM) and the XM audio presets (if equipped), because the audio unit does not retain the presets after the battery is disconnected.
- Make sure the ignition switch is in LOCK position.
Disconnect and isolate the negative cable from the battery.
NOTEAlways disconnect the negative cable from the battery first.
- Disconnect the positive cable from the battery.
- Wait for 3 minutes for the SRS system to discharge before continuing the procedure.
Set the turn signal canceling sleeve (A) so that the projections (B) are aligned vertically.
- Carefully install the clockspring (D) on the steering column shaft. Then connect 13P or 5P connector (C) to the clockspring, and connect the 4P connector (B) to the dashboard wire harness 4P connector (A).
- Install the steering column covers.
If necessary, center the clockspring. Do this by first rotating the clockspring clockwise until it stops. Then, rotate it counterclockwise (about 3 turns) until the arrow mark (A) on the clockspring label points straight up.
NOTENew replacement clocksprings come centered.
Position the 2 tabs (A) of the turn signal canceling sleeve (B) as shown, and install the steering wheel on to the steering column shaft, making sure the steering wheel hub (C) engages the pins (D) of the clockspring and tabs of the turn signal canceling sleeve. Do not tap on the steering wheel or steering column shaft when installing the steering wheel.
- Install a new steering wheel bolt and tighten to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Reconnect the connectors.
- Install the driver's airbag.
- Connect the battery terminals.
- Clear any DTC-s.
After installing the clockspring, confirm proper system operation:
Turn the ignition switch to ON (II); the SRS indicator should come on for about 6 seconds and then go off