- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- If the A/C compressor is somewhat operable, run the engine at idle speed, and let the air conditioning work for a few minutes, then shut the engine off.
- Record the anti-theft code for the radio and write down the frequencies for the radio's preset buttons.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Recover the refrigerant with a recovery/recycling/charging station.
- Remove the radiator reservoir tank.
- Remove the alternator.
Disconnect the A/C compressor clutch connector (A), remove the bolt and nut, then disconnect the suction line (B) and the discharge line (C) from the A/C compressor. Plug or cap the lines immediately after disconnecting them to avoid moisture and dust contamination.
- Remove the mounting bolts and the A/C compressor.
- Install the A/C compressor in the reverse order of removal.
- If installing a new A/C compressor, calculate the amount of refrigerant oil that has been removed.
- Replace the O-rings with new ones at each fitting and apply a thin coat of refrigerant oil on them before install. Be sure to use the correct O-rings for HFC-134a (R-134a) to avoid leakage.
- Use refrigerant oil (KEIHIN SP-10) for HFC-134a KEIHIN spiral type A/C compressor only.
- To avoid contamination, do not return the oil to the container once dispensed, and never mix it with other refrigerant oils.
Immediately after using the oil, reinstall the cap on the container, and seal it to avoid moisture absorption.
WARNINGDo not spill the refrigerant oil on the vehicle; it may damage the paint. If the refrigerant oil contacts the paint, wash it off immediately.
- Charge the A/C system.
Perform the PCM idle learn procedure, as follows:
- Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear window defogger, lights, etc.) are off.
- Reset the PCM with the HDS, or equivalent OBD-II compliant scan tool.
- Turn the ignition switch ON (II) and wait 2 seconds.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 RPM without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 °F (90 °C).
Let the engine idle about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
NOTEIf the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
- Enter the anti-theft code for the radio, then enter the radio station presets.