Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the intake manifold cover.
- Remove the 4 ignition coils.
- Disconnect the Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve connector.
- Remove the dipstick, the breather hose, and the Power Steering (P/S) hose clamp.
- Remove the 2 bolts securing the EVAP canister purge valve bracket.
Remove the valve cover, also called the cylinder head cover.
- Thoroughly clean the head cover gasket and the groove.
- Install the head cover gasket in the groove of the cylinder head cover.
- Check that the mating surfaces are clean and dry.
Apply liquid gasket, P/N 08717-0004, 08718-0001, 08718-0003, or 08718-0009, on the chain case and the No. 5 rocker shaft holder mating areas. Install the component within 5 minutes of applying the liquid gasket.
NOTEIf applying liquid gasket P/N 08718-0012, the component must be installed within 4 minutes. If too much time has passed after applying the liquid gasket, remove the old liquid gasket and residue, then reapply new liquid gasket.
- Set the spark plug seals on the spark plug tubes. Place the cylinder head cover on the cylinder head, then slide the cover slightly back and forth to seat the head cover gasket.
- Inspect the cover washers. Replace any washer that is damaged or deteriorated.
Tighten the bolts in 3 steps. In the final step, tighten all the bolts, in sequence, to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
NOTEWait at least 30 minutes to allow the liquid gasket to cure before filling the engine with oil. Do not run the engine for at least 3 hours after installing the head cover.
- Install the 2 bolts securing the EVAP canister purge valve bracket.
- Install the P/S hose clamp, breather hose, and the dipstick.
- Connect the EVAP canister purge valve connector.
- Install the 4 ignition coils.
- Install the intake manifold cover.