Removal & Installation
Special tools required:
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the flange bolt and flange nuts from the lower arm.
- Disconnect the lower ball joint from the lower arm.
- Remove the lock pin from the lower ball joint pin, then remove the castle nut.
- Install the ball joint thread protector.
- Disconnect the lower ball joint from the knuckle using the ball joint remover, then remove the lower ball joint.
- Install the lower ball joint in the reverse order of removal.
Install a new flange bolt and new flange nuts. After lightly tightening all 3 fasteners, tighten each to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm) in sequence.
NOTETighten the front nut first, then the nut toward the rear, and then the flange bolt.
Lightly tighten the lower ball joint to the lower arm. Raise the suspension to load it with the vehicle's weight before fully tightening the lower ball joint to the knuckle to 43-51 ft. lbs. (59-69 Nm).
NOTETorque the castle nut to the lower torque specification, then tighten it only far enough to align the slot with the ball joint pin hole. Do not align the castle nut by loosening it.
- Check the wheel alignment, and adjust as necessary.