Removal & Installation
Special tools required:
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the brake hose mounting bolt.
Remove the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts and the caliper assembly from the knuckle.
NOTETo prevent damage to the caliper assembly or the brake hose, use a short piece of wire to hang the caliper assembly from the undercarriage. Do not twist the brake hose excessively.
- Remove the wheel speed sensor from the knuckle. Do not disconnect the wheel speed sensor connector.
- Raise the stake, then remove the spindle nut.
- Remove the front brake disc rotor.
- Check the front hub for damage and cracks.
- Remove the cotter pin from the tie-rod end ball joint, then remove the nut.
- Disconnect the tie-rod end ball joint from the knuckle using a ball joint remover.
- Remove the lock pin from the lower ball joint pin, then remove the castle nut.
- Disconnect the lower ball joint from the lower arm.
- Remove the strut mounting bolts (A) and the self-locking nuts (B) from the strut.
- Remove the driveshaft outboard joint (C) from the knuckle (D) by tapping the driveshaft end (E) with a plastic hammer while drawing the hub outward.
Remove the knuckle/hub.
NOTEDo not pull the driveshaft end outward as the driveshaft inboard joint may come apart.
Install all the components and lightly tighten the bolts and nuts, then raise the suspension to load it with the vehicle weight before fully tightening to the specified torque values.
- Apply grease to the mating surface of the wheel bearing and the driveshaft outboard joint.
- Install the knuckle/hub into position.
- Install the driveshaft outboard joint (C) to the knuckle (D).
- Loosely install the strut mounting bolts (A) and the self-locking nuts (B) to the strut.
- With the weight of the vehicle on the suspension, tighten the strut mounting bolts and nuts to 116 ft. lbs. (157 Nm).
- Connect the lower ball joint to the lower arm. Tighten the castle nut to 43-51 ft. lbs. (59-69 Nm).
- Install the lock pin into the lower ball joint.
- Connect the tie-rod end ball joint to the knuckle and tighten the nut to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm). Install the cotter pin.
- Install the front brake disc rotor.
- Install the spindle nut and tighten to 242 ft. lbs. (328 Nm).
- Stake the spindle nut with a drift tool.
- Install the wheel speed sensor to the knuckle and tighten to 86 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the caliper assembly to the knuckle and tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts to 101 ft. lbs. (137 Nm).
- Install the brake hose mounting bolt and tighten to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tighten to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
- Check the wheel alignment and adjust as necessary.