Removal & Installation
Special tools required:
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Relieve the fuel pressure. Refer to Relieving Fuel System Pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel fill cap.
- Fold the left side rear seat forward and pull back the carpet to expose the access panel.
- Remove the access panel (A) from the floor.
- Disconnect the fuel tank unit 4P connector (B).
Disconnect the quick-connect fitting (C) from the fuel tank unit.
- Using the special tool, loosen the locknut.
- Remove the locknut, the base gasket, and the fuel pump tank unit.
Temporarily attach a new base gasket to the fuel pump tank unit, then insert the fuel tank unit partially into the fuel tank.
Be careful not to damage the new base gasket
- Transfer the base gasket (A) from the fuel tank unit to the fuel tank.
Align the marks (B) on the fuel tank and the fuel tank unit, then insert the fuel tank unit until it sits on the base gasket.
CAUTIONTo prevent a fuel leak, check the base gasket, visually or by hand, to make sure it is not pinched.
Using the special tool, tighten the new locknut to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm).
After tightening, make sure the marks are still aligned
- Connect the fuel tank unit 4P connector.
- Reconnect the negative cable to the battery and turn the ignition switch to ON (but do not operate the starter motor). The fuel pump will run for about 2 seconds, and fuel pressure will rise. Repeat this 2-3 times, and check that there is no leakage in the fuel supply system.
- Install the parts in the reverse order of removal.