- Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the audio system.
- Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
- Discharge and recover the air conditioning system refrigerant.
- Disconnect the A/C line from the evaporator core.
- When the engine is cool, drain the engine coolant from the radiator.
From under the hood, slide the hose clamps (A) back. Disconnect the inlet heater hose (B) and the outlet heater hose (C) from the heater unit. Note the orientation of the hose. Engine coolant will run out when the hoses are disconnected; drain it into a clean drip pan. Be sure not to let coolant spill on the electrical parts or the painted surfaces. If any coolant spills, rinse it off immediately.
Remove the mounting nut from the heater unit. Take care not to damage or bend the fuel lines or the brake lines.
NOTEHave an assistant help when removing and installing the dashboard. Use the appropriate tool from the KTC trim tool set (SOJATP2014) to avoid damage when prying components. Take care not to scratch the dashboard and related parts.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Center upper dashboard panel
- On the driver-s side: remove the screws, then remove the GPS antenna, then pull the antenna out through the hole in the dashboard.
- In the center, detach the wire harness clips from the shift lever panel opening.
- From the back of the dashboard, disconnect the tweeter connectors, then detach the wire harness clips.
- On the passenger-s side, carefully pry the glove box light from the inside of the dashboard, and detach the wire harness clips.
- From the back of the dashboard, remove the screws and the center joint duct.
From the front of the dashboard, remove the screws.
- Disconnect the connector from the blower motor. Remove the wire harness clip.
- Disconnect the connector from the recirculation control motor.
- Disconnect the connectors from the mode control motor, the evaporator temperature sensor, and the power transistor. Remove the wire harness clips.
- Disconnect the connectors from the air mix control motor and A/C wire harness. Remove the connector clip, the wire harness clips, and the wire harness.
Remove the clip (A) and the duct (B). Slide the clamp, then remove the drain hose (C). Remove the mounting bolt, mounting nuts, and blower-heater unit (D).
Remove the self-tapping screws and the driver's duct (A). Remove the self-tapping screws, the heater core cover (B), the grommet (C), and carefully pull out the heater core (D).
- Install the heater core and the evaporator core in the reverse order of removal.
Install the heater unit in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:
- Do not interchange the inlet and outlet heater hoses. Install the hose clamps securely.
- Refill the cooling system with engine coolant.
- Make sure that there is no coolant leakage.
- Make sure that there is no air leakage.
- Assemble the dashboard and the steering hanger beam in the reverse order of removal.
- Make sure the dashboard wire harness is not pinched.
- Make sure the connectors are plugged in properly.
- Connect the negative battery cable and test proper operation of the heating and cooling system.