Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTESupplemental Restraint System (SRS) components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations and precautions and procedures before doing repairs or servicing.
- Make sure the anti-theft codes for the audio system and navigation system (if equipped) are available.
- Disable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), disarming the system.
- Remove the steering column.
- Center-punch each of the 2 shear bolts and drill the heads of the bolts off with a 3 / 16 inch (5mm) drill bit. Be careful not to damage the switch body when removing the shear bolts.
- Remove the shear bolts from the switch body.
- Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the vehicle.
- Install the ignition lock cylinder/switch body without the key inserted.
- Loosely tighten the new shear bolts.
- Insert the ignition key and check for proper operation of the steering wheel lock and that the ignition key turns freely.
- Tighten the shear bolts until the hex heads twist off.
- Rewrite the new immobilizer control unit-receiver, and make sure the immobilizer system works properly.
- Install the steering column.
- Enable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), arming the system.