Before servicing or working around the SRS system, turn the ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery cables and wait at least 3 minutes. When servicing or working around the SRS system, do not work directly in front of the air bag module.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), disarming the system.
Remove the driver's airbag from the steering wheel:
- Remove the access panel from the steering wheel, then disconnect the driver's airbag 4P connector from the clockspring (also called the cable reel).
- Remove the 2 TORX® bolts using a TORX® T30 bit, then remove the driver's airbag.
- Disconnect the cruise control set/resume switch connector (A) and horn switch connector (B).
Loosen, but do not remove the steering wheel bolt (C).
Install a suitable steering wheel puller (A) on the steering wheel (B). Free the steering wheel from the steering column shaft by turning the pressure bolt (C) of the puller.
Note these items when removing the steering wheel:
Do not tap on the steering wheel or the steering column shaft when removing the steering wheel as damage to components may occur
- Remove the steering wheel puller, then remove the steering wheel bolt and steering wheel from the steering column.
- Before installing the steering wheel, make sure the front wheels are aligned straight ahead, then center the cable reel (A).
- Position the 2 tabs (A) of the turn signal canceling sleeve (B) as shown.
Install the steering wheel on the steering column shaft, making sure the steering wheel hub (C) engages the pins (D) of the cable reel and the tabs of the canceling sleeve.
WARNINGDo not use a hammer to tap on the steering wheel or steering column shaft when installing the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel bolt and tighten to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Connect the horn and cruise control set/resume switch connectors. Make sure the wire harness is routed and fastened properly.
- Install the driver's airbag in the reverse order of removal and confirm that the system is operating properly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the horn and turn signal canceling for proper operation.
- Enter the anti-theft code for the radio and the radio station presets.
- Check if the cruise control buttons operate correctly.