- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Shift the transaxle to N .
- Raise the vehicle on a lift, and make sure it is supported securely.
- Remove the drain plug and drain the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).
- Reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer and tighten to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Disconnect the A/F sensor connector and the secondary heated oxygen sensor connector.
- Remove the sensor harnesses from the harness clamps.
- Remove the 3-way catalytic converter.
- Make a reference mark across the propeller shaft and the transfer companion flange.
- Separate the propeller shaft from the transfer companion flange.
- Remove the 4 transfer assembly mounting bolts (A), and pull out the bolt (B) to the limit of travel.
Remove the transfer assembly (C) and the dowel pin (D) from the transaxle.
- Clean the areas where the transfer assembly contacts the transaxle with solvent and dry with compressed air. Then apply transmission fluid to the seal contact area.
- Install a new O-ring (A) on the transfer assembly (B).
- Install the dowel pin (C) in the transfer housing.
- Install the one bolt (D) part-way in the rear lower of the transfer housing, and install the transfer assembly on the transaxle.
Install the remaining bolts through the transfer case and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
- Install the propeller shaft to the transfer companion flange by aligning the reference mark and tighten the bolts to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Install the 3-way catalytic converter with the bolts, new self-locking nuts, and new gaskets. Tighten the bolts and nuts as illustrated.
- Connect the A/F sensor connector and the secondary heated oxygen sensor connector.
- Install the sensor harnesses in the harness clamps.
Refill the transaxle with the proper type and amount of ATF.