REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 3.2L SHO
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the screw, then disconnect the speed control actuator cable from the accelerator cable bracket.
- Disconnect the speed control actuator cable with the adjuster from the accelerator cable.
- Remove the two vacuum hoses and electrical connector from the servo assembly.
- Remove the two nuts attaching the servo to its mounting bracket.
- Carefully remove the servo and cable assembly.
- Remove the two nuts securing the cable cover to the servo.
- Pull off the cover, then remove the cable assembly.
- Attach the cable to the servo.
- Attach the cable cover to the servo with the two retaining nuts. For vehicles through 1993, tighten the nuts to 45-61 inch lbs. (5-7 Nm). For 1994-95 vehicles, tighten the nuts to 62-80 inch lbs. (7-9 Nm).
- Attach the servo to the mounting bracket. For vehicles through 1993, tighten the retaining nuts to 45-61 inch lbs. (5-7 Nm). For 1994-95 vehicles, tighten the retaining nuts to 62-80 inch lbs. (7-9 Nm).
- Feed the actuator cable under the air cleaner air duct.
- Snap the actuator cable with the adjuster onto the accelerator cable bracket and install the screw.
- Connect the actuator cable to the accelerator cable bracket and install the fastener.
- Install the two vacuum hoses and electrical connector at the servo.
- Connect negative battery cable.
See Figures 5, 6 and 7
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the retaining clip from the actuator cable adjuster fitting.
- Push the actuator tube out of the adjuster fitting attached to the throttle cable.
- Disengage the harness connector at the speed control servo.
- Remove the three nuts attaching the assembly to the vehicle.
- Remove the actuator cable cap from the speed control servo by depressing the cap locking arm and rotating the cap counterclockwise.
- Remove the cable slug from the servo pulley. Gently pry-up the arm slightly with a suitable small prybar and at the same time, push the cable slug out of the pulley slot.
Excessive bending of the arm will cause it to break. DO NOT USE servos with damaged or missing locking arms.
- Remove the bracket from the speed control servo. Retain the bracket and three screws for reinstallation on the speed control servo.
- Attach the bracket to the speed control servo with the three screws. Tighten the screw to 6-8 ft. lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Make sure that the rubber seal is fully seated on the actuator cap.
- Lock the cable ball slug into the servo pulley slot.
- Pull on the throttle attachment end of the cable to draw the cable cap onto the servo pulley.
- Align the cable cap tabs with slots in the servo housing. Insert the cap into the speed control servo and rotate it clockwise until the locking arm engages the locking tab on the speed control servo.
- Position the actuator cable and servo assembly in the vehicle. Tighten the mounting nuts to 45-61 inch lbs. (5-7 Nm).
- Attach the harness connector to the speed control servo.
- Adjust the actuator clip as outlined earlier in this section, then install the retaining clip.
Incorrect wrapping of the cable core wire around the servo pulley may result in a high idle condition. Make sure that the throttle lever is at idle position after cable installation and adjustment.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect 8-way amplifier connector. At connector, connect an ohmmeter between orange/yellow wire and grey/black wire. Resistance should be 40-125 ohms.
- Connect an ohmmeter between orange/yellow wire and white/pink wire. Resistance should be 60-190 ohms.
- Connect an ohmmeter between pink/light blue wire and brown/light green wire. Resistance should be 40,000-60,000 ohms.
- Connect an ohmmeter between yellow/red wire and brown/light green wire. Resistance should be 20,000-30,000 ohms.
- If proper reading is not obtained, check wiring and servo assembly separately for damage. Repair and/or replace as required.
- Start engine and, with servo disconnected from amplifier, connect orange/yellow wire of servo to battery positive terminal. Connect white/pink wire of servo to ground.
- Momentarily touch grey/black wire of servo to ground. Servo throttle actuator arm should pull in and engine speed should servo throttle actuator arm should hold in that position or slowly release.
- When white/pink is removed from ground servo throttle actuator arm should release.
- Replace servo assembly if it does not perform as indicated.
- If orange/yellow wire is shorted to either white/pink wire or grey/black wire it may be necessary to replace amplifier assembly.