The inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) maintains a reserve energy supply. When the vehicle power is insufficient to cause deployment of the air bags, the reserve energy supply provides the deployment power. Deployment power is available for as many as 10 minutes after disconnecting the vehicle power by any of the following methods:
Performing the following procedure prevents deploying of the air bags from the reserve energy supply power.
- Turn the steering wheel to center the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
- Remove the instrument panel fuse block access door.
- Remove the AIR BAG fuse (may also be identified as a numbered fuse or as the SIR or SDM fuse) from the fuse block.
- Remove the left instrument panel insulator, the trim panel under the steering column.
- Locate and remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) pin which locks the connector together, and separate the driver side yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
- Locate and remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) pin which locks the connector together, and separate the passenger side yellow 2-way connector located to the right of the steering column.
- On vehicles equipped with a driver's side impact air bag, the air bag is built into the side of the seat facing the door. Move the driver's seat back as far as possible to gain access to the driver side air bag yellow 2-way connector. Detach the driver's side impact air bag yellow 2-way connector.